Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday

This meme is hosted by Breaking the Spine and is meant to highlight some great pre-publication books we all can't wait to get our grubby little mitts on.

  Mud Season by Ellen Stimson. The book is being released by Countryman Press on October 7, 2013.

Amazon says this about the book: After a getaway in gorgeous rural Vermont—its mountains ablaze in autumnal glory, its Main Streets quaint and welcoming—Ellen Stimson and her family make up their minds even before they get back to St. Louis: “We’re moving to Vermont!” The reality, they quickly learn, is a little muddier than they'd imagined, but, happily, worth all the trouble.

In self-deprecating and hilarious fashion, Mud Season chronicles Stimson’s transition from city life to rickety Vermont farmhouse. When she decides she wants to own and operate the old-fashioned village store in idyllic Dorset, pop. 2,036, one of the oldest continually operating country stores in the country, she learns the hard way that “improvements” are not always welcomed warmly by folks who like things just fine the way they’d always been. She dreams of patrons streaming in for fresh-made sandwiches and an old-timey candy counter, but she learns they’re boycotting the store. Why? “The bread,” they tell her, “you moved the bread from where it used to be.” Can the citified newcomer turn the tide of mistrust before she ruins the business altogether?

Follow the author to her wit’s end and back, through her full immersion into rural life—swapping high heels for muck boots; raising chickens and sheep; fighting off skunks, foxes, and bears; and making a few friends and allies in a tiny town steeped in history, local tradition, and that dyed-in-the-wool Vermont “character.”

3 comments:

  1. I have always thought of Vermont as one of the places that would be nice for retirement. Sounds like an interesting move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived in 4 states in my life, and Maine was my favorite. Of course, Vermont isn't the same exact place as Maine, but I have been there several times, and loved it. Except for 2 major cities (Rutland, Burlington) they do not allow big-box stores, as of when I used to live nearby 7 years ago. They try to keep their way of life small and friendly, and independent thinking.

    This book is already on my wishlist from spotting it somewhere else, but thanks for pointing it out to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book....looks good. THANKS for sharing.

    I haven’t participated lately, but here are my answers.

    Currently reading: THE PARIS ARCHITECT…another good WWII book with great characters.

    Finished Reading: THE WEDDING GIFT…excellent read…review on my blog.

    Reading Next: SWEETEST HALLELUJAH…that is tentative…can’t pick. :)

    BTW…a great video on my blog that Simon & Schuster made with authors talking and thanking and praising bloggers. You will love it.

    Also a giveaway for THE RETURNED on my blog.

    Have a great day.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts