Friday, September 13, 2013

2013 Women's National Book Association Great Group Reads

October is National Reading Group Month and in honor of that, each year the Women's National Book Association (the WNBA without dunking) chooses a list of books that will make for "Great Group Reads." The books are well written and thoughtful. And they deal with topics and themes which should generate good and lengthy discussions in your group. Every year when I read some of the books submitted, I am pleased to discover wonderful books I might not have otherwise picked up or even heard of without their inclusion on the list. In the interest of full disclosure for those who aren't long time readers of my blog, I am the President of the Charlotte chapter and also a member of the panel which selects the books.

This year's list has just been officially released so here it is with links to any I've reviewed so far:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
Big Brother by Lionel Shriver
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
David by Ray Robertson
The House Girl by Tara Conklin
How It All Began by Penelope Lively
Is This Tomorrow by Caroline Leavitt
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Margot by Jillian Cantor
Mary Coin by Marisa Silver
The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg
Nowhere Is a Place by Bernice L. McFadden
The One-Way Bridge by Cathie Pelletier
Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell
The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Schroder by Amity Gaige
Sparta by Roxana Robinson
Wash by Margaret Wrinkle
The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers


So if you are looking for your group's next great read or even just your own next great read, consider one of these. You'll be thinking about whichever one you choose long after you close the pages.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic list, thanks for sharing it! My book club picks our books monthly instead of at the start of the year, so I'm definitely going to be sharing this with the group as a list of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts