Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday Mailbox

I have been incredibly spoiled this past week by the absolute April shower of books arriving practically daily around here. That's a sure sign that one of my annual commitments reading-wis is ramping up again. Here's hoping I can keep up with the stream of books! Or at least have them read by the time they should be read. This past week's mailbox arrivals:

The Last River Child by Lori Ann Bloomfield came from the author via the publisher.
About a girl whose appearance causes her to have to fight superstitions her whole life until WWI alters the people in her small town forever, this one sounds really cool.

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda came from the publisher.
An adoption story across two countries, America and India, I can't wait to dive into this one.

The Cradle by Patrick Somerville came from Valerie at Hachette.
I have my own cradle story from when I was pregnant with my first child so the story of a woman who wants her husband to find her baby cradle resonates quite deeply with me.

Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs by Heather Lende came from the publisher.
I have her first memoir about living in Alaska and this follow-up looks delightful as well.

Easy as Pi by Jamie Buchan came from Julie at FSB Associates.
I was all set to run screaming from this one but I have been assured that it is fascinating even to the number averse because it explains the sources of numerical phrases.

A Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi" by Chloe Rhodes came from Julie at FSB Associates.
I love word and phrase origins so I am looking forward to this one a lot.

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Marcia at The Printed Page and enjoy seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

15 comments:

  1. You got some great looking books this week Kristin. The Last River Child and Secret Daughter look great. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mailbox list. I think The Last River Child sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mailbox! I really enjoyed The Cradle. I got Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs too and think it looks delightful. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take Care of the Garden and the Dogs looks terrific! I look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh The Last River Child looks really good! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to your review of Secret Daughter! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you got a copy of "The Last River Child"! I read this one a while back and the author is a sweetheart, and the publisher is also awesome. When our truck was stolen back in Jan. and "TLRC" was in it, the publisher sent me out a new copy right away. And the author did a great interview with me on my blog. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Last River Child and The Cradle both look very good. Great mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy all your wonderful books!!!
    Kelly Bookend Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great variety. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice collection of books! Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your books! The two first ones really appeal to me. I love books on adoption and will have to get Secret Daughter soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great haul! I'm most looking forward to reading The Secret Daughter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh.. Secret Daughter!! Can't wait to read your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts