Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reading for a Cure Challenge

Wendy at Caribousmom came up with this challenge designed to make a difference. Most reading challenges might stretch our brains a little bit or perhaps introduce us to new ideas but ultimately, they are very personal and generally affect no one but the reader. However, Wendy's Reading for a Cure Challenge makes a very private thing contribute to a greater good. How cool to harness reading for a such a worthy cause. So I'm going to join in and donate a dollar for each book I read this year. That means that so far this year I'll be donating $51 to the Pediatric Cancer Foundation and that number will only go up as the year goes on. Why not join me? Wendy has left ways to participate wide open:

The Challenge
Reading for a Cure is all about raising money and awareness to find a cure for childhood cancer. It is about making a commitment over the course of one year to make a difference in the lives of children. I am asking the book blogging community to show how much we care for children by committing to this cause. The level of commitment is up to you. Here is how it works…

Choose a Level of Participation:

One Month – Pick any month in 2010 and push yourself to read as many books or pages as you can with a commitment to donate a certain dollar amount per page or book or review. Consider asking friends or family to sponsor you or match your donation.

Three Consecutive Months from January 1st – March 31st. Focus your efforts in three months of reading. Consider teaming up with another reader and “match” each other.

Six Consecutive Months from January 1st to June 30th. Use these six months to focus on the cause to raise money to end childhood cancer.

Be a superstar. Commit to a full 12 months of reading for a cure, setting a dollar amount to donate for all the books or pages you read in 2010. Or perhaps you want to donate per review you post, or reading challenge you complete. The choice of HOW to donate is completely up to you.

***PLEASE NOTE: You can sign up at ANY time for this challenge and if you come to the challenge “late” but want to include books you’ve read before you join (retroactively) that is fine too…ALSO, you may change your mind about the level of participation at any time.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for joining the challenge! And because you joined in March, your name will also go into the hat to win books this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful challenge! I am too tired to think about this tonight but dont let me forget. :) I probably want to participate!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts