Tuesday, March 23, 2010

People of Color Reading Challenge

The People of Color Reading Challenge is another of those challenges floating out there in the blogging world that I have meant to sign up for and yet have not gotten off my lazy can to do it officially. I actually think I may have read enough to have completed Level 1 already so I definitely think I should sign up. I'm all about attainable accomplishments. ;-)

The rules are as follows:

For this challenge all you need to do is grab the button from the side bar and add it to a post saying you are committed to reading POC authors and characters in this coming year. You do not have to pick your books now but you have to sign up to a level of how many you will read. Leave a comment to your post stating how many books you will read this year and tada automagically you are done.

Level 1: Read 1-3 POC books
Level 2. Read 4-6 POC books
Level 3. Read 7-9 POC books
Level 4. Read 10-15 POC books
Level 5. Read 16-25 POC books


Leaving out my January reads, since I have no idea if I read them after the stated Jan. 19th start date (the challenge runs Jan. 19th through Dec. 31st), so far I've read:

The Wife of His Youth and Other Stories by Charles Chesnutt
Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill
The Weight of Heaven by Thrity Umrigar
The Consequences of Love by Sulaiman Addonia
The Writing on My Forehead by Nafia Haji

That means I am firmly into level 2 (and I could have more but these are just the ones that I am pretty confident are written by people of color without doing any research). Since that it the case, I will shoot for hitting Level 3 or reading 7-9 books that fit the criteria. I have no idea what the next 2-4 books by POC authors will be yet but I'm pretty confident that I'll find some good ones if the above books are anything on which to judge.

1 comment:

  1. The Weight of Heaven by Thrity Umrigar and The Writing on My Forehead by Nafia Haji are two of my favorite books already this year. Have a great time with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts